The Andover Wheelers were formed in 1933 and cater for cyclists of all ages and abilities. We run regular weekly club rides - Saturday mornings steady for the beginner/novice rider, Sunday mornings for the more experienced rider and a Wednesday evening chaingang ride.
We are also a Go Ride registered club with a number of Level 2 coaches and we run regular kids coaching sessions on a Saturday morning at Harrow Way School in Andover. We have a full calender of club time trials during the months of April and September, which are held on a Tuesday evening, and these are open for anyone to 'Come & Try'.
The club also currently promotes three 'Open' time trials and also the 'Stockbridge Down' Road Race in May for E/1/2/3 riders. Many of our members take part in local road races and time trials and will always be happy to offer support and advice to anyone wanting to make the next step.
All in all we are a friendly club that welcome new members of all ages & abilities who want to progress their participation in cycling.
17/11/14 A big turnout
for the Freewheel Champs yesterday morning. Well done to Mark Skeates,
who rolled the furthest, followed by Nigel Pratt and Jan Labrooy.
Thanks to everyone that came out and took part!
The club AGM is on Monday 1st December at Wyke Down PH, starting at 8.00pm. If you have any proposals or points for discussion that you would like added to AOB, please let the chairman know by Monday 24th November.
Our Sunday rides are now well under way and the Saturday rides are becoming more and more popular. Many are new to riding in a group but we are all responsible for how we ride on the road as a group, from a safety point of view and how cyclists are viewed when riding on the road. There is nothing worse than seeing three a breast or the outside riders riding on the white line! The following link to the BC website is particularly useful as a guide to riding two abreast and relevant to everyone who comes out on our rides. Please take some time to view.
14/10/14 The Summer racing season is now over and Winter fast approaching! However, there is still plenty of cycling going on plus other social events! Some dates etc, as follows, for your diaries:
- Club Prize Presentation is planned to be on Saturday 15th November at the Masonic Hall, East Street in Andover. Likely to be a Hot buffet but more details will follow shortly from Lizzy Yates.
- Please can you now return all the club trophies as soon as possible so that we can prepare them for the Presentation evening. Please return them to myself or Lizzy (or anyone from the committee).
- If you are claiming for any club competitions like the Club BAR or Vets BAR, can you email your qualifying times including result sheets/web links as proof please.
- The Winter Sunday club rides will begin on 19th October, 9.00am from the Guildhall in Andover. Details of routes will follow c/o Simon Healey.
- Turbo Training will begin at The Scott Centre in Andover on Tuesday 4th November, 7.00pm start.